We are standing together to be Co-Conveners of this committee because we believe we have the skills, experience and vision to deliver our best ever election result next year.
The Holyrood election is the launch pad for Green success over the next 10 years. It gives us the opportunity to win Councillors across Scotland in 2017 and an MEP in 2019. But more than that; it will give us the opportunity to make the case for:
• A more democratic Scotland
• A Scotland with equality at its heart
• Global and local action to tackle climate change and end poverty
We are experienced campaigners, having both been
• Westminster Candidates,
• Members of ECC
• Branch co-conveners.
This gives us the perfect mix of experience to deliver a strong campaign.
We’ve worked together on numerous campaigns both for the party and in our professional lives. We already make a great team with each of us playing to our strengths, whether strategy and messaging or practical support for branches. We want to build on that to create an inclusive and welcoming Elections and Campaigns Committee in this crucial year.
Our party needs a campaign that every member can be a part of. We commit to drawing on expertise from across the party and making this our most inclusive campaign yet.
We promise to…
- Clearly communicate on strategy with branches and members so we’re all on the same page
- Work closely with the manifesto team to turn Green ideas into our strongest campaign yet
- Equip branches and members with the tools they need to campaign in their communities, including canvassing and data capture
- Make sure branches and regional boards know what they can expect from the party and what they can contribute, whether on fundraising, messaging or skills
- Involve members by crowdsourcing ideas, building teams and being available to all
Over the past 3 years the Scottish Green Party has put social and environmental justice at the heart of Scotland’s political culture. Our party has become a central part of the progressive movement. The 2016 election offers us a fantastic opportunity to put our Green vision at the heart of Parliamentary politics. We can give voice to those who want to see a social security system worthy of the name, who want real power for all our communities, and who don’t want big businesses to be given the chance to frack under their homes.
To do that we need to be true to our Green values. That means being thoughtful, cooperative and idealistic. It means emphasising that politics can make a real difference to people’s lives. It means going beyond partisanship to make the vital changes we need in society.
We pledge to support members and local parties to deliver a better campaign than ever before. We promise to harness the opportunities our larger membership gives us to make a difference. That means better online campaigning, more resources for branches to run ground campaigns and an approach that builds teams who can help us get seats in Council Chambers across Scotland in 2017.
We need to seize this opportunity to change our politics and our economy.
We need to be bold.
Vote Beattie-Smith/McColl #1